This Friday I’m off to ALA Annual Conference. For those confused by all the acronyms, ALA is the American Library Association, and this conference is mainly attended by our heroes –librarians – although readers and other bookish people will crash. This year, I’m excited to be taking part in the festivities as an author. I’ve never been, and I’m sure I will be overwhelmed and get lost, but that’s half the fun, right?
Some of you have been tweeting me or emailing me with questions about ALA, so I thought I would answer them in one place. Here we go!
- Will there be ARCs of IF I LIE at ALA? This is the number one question coming my way. The answer is YES, but with a huge disclaimer. Quantities are extremely limited. I’m not going to be doing an official signing, and I’m pretty sure the ARCs are mainly reserved for librarians. If you are a reader or a blogger, you may not be able to get your hands on one. May the force be with you in your quest.
- Where can I find you at ALA? My schedule is below. If you manage to get an ARC of IF I LIE, stop me because I will happily sign it and your face and any other appendage you like. I’ve only signed one ARC so far – that’s how rare my ARCs are – and I found I quite liked the experience.*
5:00 PM: YALSA Happy Hour! Morton’s Anaheim
9:30-11:30 PM: Simon & Schuster Dessert Reception Celebrating Picture Books. Sheraton Park Hotel in Anaheim, Palm Ballroom [/note]
6:00-7:00 PM: Newbery Caldecott Wilder Banquet Cocktail Hour. Anaheim Marriott outside the Marquis Ballroom.
7:00-11:00 PM: Newbery Caldecott Wilder Banquet. Anaheim Marriott Marquis Ballroom. [/note]
5:30-7:30 PM : Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing YA Debut Author dinner and speed-dating reception hosted by Deb Caletti at the ALA Annual Conference, Sheraton Plaza Hotel at the Anaheim Resort, Palm West Room, 1855 South Harbor Blvd, Anaheim, CA (invite only – not a public event)
8:00-10:00 PM: Michael L. Printz Program & Reception. Hilton Anaheim, California C. [/note]
- *Note: some of these events are ticketed or invite only. Check your schedules to ensure you’re eligible to attend.
- How will I know it’s you? I have a red purse that looks like a typewriter, and I’ll have it on me at all times. Just don’t confuse me with the lovely Tahereh Mafi who also has this purse. I know because her 2010 tweet sent me on a quest to have this bag if I was ever lucky enough to get a book deal. SCORE.
- Will there be IF I LIE swag? YES. I will have swag with me at all times. Find me, and I will give you the things! Also, remember this contest? Take a picture with me, post it online, and you could win an annotated finished copy of IF I LIE. Full rules here.
And please introduce yourself to me! I am terrible with names, but I love to talk about books.